KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Getting the Disney Mom Out of the Way

I've just realized that I'm one of those moms that Disney movies always kill off or get out of the way. And now I know why they do that.

You know what I mean. The intrepid child heroes in the movie would never have any adventures if their mom was around. She'd sit them down and lecture them on safety, say that they should wait until they're older and more mature. In other words, she'd get in the way.

Ed and the boys are out in the front yard, using summer's extended daylight at this late hour to finish prepping our 1½-person sailboat so that we can take it along on our first camping vacation of the summer soon. I've been taking advantage of the quiet to play my favorite New Age music while I edit. I don't like to work weekends, but I must finish this book manuscript before we go.

I get up to stretch my legs and I look out a front window. Neil, 12¾ years old, is masterfully driving our minivan, with Ed supervising from the front passenger seat, maneuvering it into position and then backing it into our driveway so that Ed can hitch the little boat trailer to it!

Now, I've always recognized that spatial skills and physical coordination are two of Neil's unusually strong skills, stronger in him than in most kids his age. (Well before he was 3 years old, the little monkey literally climbed up our walls, holding his body up by the ceiling by stretching himself across the corner over a door, feet planted at the top of one wall and hands pushing against the top of the other wall.) But I'd never have thought to let him drive the van, not even a tiny distance and not even under supervision.

He did great! And I had to be out of the way for that to happen. Maybe it would be okay for me to loosen up a bit.



No comments:

Template created by Makeworthy Media