KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Bragging on My Daughter

I'm very pleased to say that my daughter, Becky, has just found out that the research paper she missed for one class because she was busy giving birth to my first grandchild in mid-May, has been accepted and graded. She now officially has her MSW (master of social work) degree.

Her short maternity leave from the chain of drugstores where she worked her way through college ends in just about 3 weeks. She'll go back to work there, missing her daughter all the while, take the exam so that she can be a LMSW (licensed master social worker), and look for her first professional job as a social worker.

She says she's now done two things I never have: given birth naturally (all three of mine were C-sections) and earned an advanced degree (I have a mere bachelor's degree in journalism). She's right. And I'm quite impressed at the MSW. She's very much more laid back than I am, and my husband and I sometimes feared that she didn't have the drive to get that degree. (In the U.S., you can't get much of a job in her profession with just a bachelor's degree.) I now say publicly that I was wrong, and I'm happy about it. :-)



2 comments:

Imperatrix said...

Best of luck to Becky. When was the last time she wasn't busy? What a powerhouse!

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

I think she's always liked being busy. She's always been that way, though I didn't push her to be.

She does wish that she could stay home with the baby for a few more months, but that's not in the budget.

Template created by Makeworthy Media