KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Why I Celebrate July 3

Ed and Kathy, July 3, 1993
Fourteen years ago today, I married my sweetheart and best friend of one year, Ed. Two children and one grandchild later, he's still my sweetheart and best friend, even though I know all of his stories and even though he telegraphs his bad puns before he makes them.

His heart is always open, he'll talk with me for hours, he plays games with our sons, and he was the world's proudest stepfather when my daughter got married almost a year ago. He makes friends wherever he goes, tries to learn at least a little of the language of everyone he meets, cooks tasty dinners and Saturday-morning pancakes and waffles from scratch, keeps our home in good repair, makes me laugh, and keeps me honest. He's a fount of knowledge about all things biological, he makes wood furniture so beautiful that it sings, and he knows exactly when to turn his puppy-dog eyes on me full force. He smiles so big that you'd think his face would split, he talks throughout the few TV shows I enjoy watching, and he snuggles our sons to sleep.

He tells all of his friends about my professional triumphs and calls me "Xena, Warrior Princess." He always means well and never does anything half-heartedly. He works very hard and then finds the energy to work even more. He loves cats and dogs, and he stops for turtles crossing the road. He knows almost nothing about computers but offers advice about them anyway, and he plays tolerant neatnik to my slob. He's very tenderhearted, but the rocks and arrows thrown by the world never make him close down.

Ed, I love you, honey. Happy anniversary.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations to both of you!

Imperatrix said...

Happy anniversary!!!!

KCB said...

Happy anniversary!

Willard Hughes said...

How sweet, Katharine. Sounds like you found the perfect husband! :-) Here's to many, many more happy years together.

Stephanie E. said...

Hi, Katharine. I meandered over here while catching up on some blog reading this morning. Sometimes (depending in part on my mood, I suppose), lovey-dovey writings evoke an "ick" reaction from me. This one did not. This one produced a smile and an "Awww." And that says something. It says this is lovely. Sweet, but not saccharine, and so real and sincere that I couldn't muster up an "ick" reaction if I tried my hardest.

Congrats, congrats, congrats.

Template created by Makeworthy Media