KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Resources for Writing and Editing Grant Proposals

I was recently privileged to edit sections of a physician-researcher's proposal for a grant from the National Institutes of Health to fund an experiment whose findings would benefit very ill children. Because this was my first foray into the world of grant proposals, I needed help from colleagues to get up to speed. I asked for links to information resources, and wow, were they helpful! I'm sharing these resources with you here so that maybe you'll be able to spend less time hunting for resources and more time working on grant proposals.

Books

Courses and Online Resources
    • "Grant Writing," Office of Clinical Research Training and Medical Education, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center

    Most of the resources listed here were recommended to me by members of the private Editing-Writing e-mail list of the American Medical Writers Association, the private e-mail list of the Editorial Freelancers Association, and the public Copyediting-L e-mail list. A few of them are courtesy of this blog post from medical writer and editor Stacey C. Tobin.




    6 comments:

    About Me said...

    Thank you, Kathy! This is a great list. I remember spending lots of time at the Foundation Center downtown, and it’s wonderful to be able to accomplish the same thing at the computer. This should help many people. And think of those who don’t even live in vicinity of a place like the Foundation Center! Regards, Barbara

    Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

    I'm happy to share, Barbara. It is indeed wonderful to be able to access so much information by computer.

    Stacey said...

    Thanks so much for the blog link Katharine! And for the additional reference material recommendations for grant writing.

    Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

    You're quite welcome, Stacey. I'm always happy to point my readers to others' good blog posts.

    jane said...

    I love it when people are willing to share what they've learned! Thanks for the help on writing a proposal for a grant. I have a friend who is looking to write a government proposal for a small business grant, and she could use some of the advice you've posted. Thanks!

    Erin said...

    I would like to warn your readers about the American Grant Writers' Association. I took an online grant writing course from them. It cost me over $500 for 5 emailed assignments from the "teacher" (Dr. John Porter). He gave very minimal feedback. There is a time limit for when you must complete the course (8 months). I wasn't sure of the exact end date of my session (I didn't receive any notification of the nearing end date from Dr. Porter or AGWA) and I submitted my final assignment three weeks past the deadline. I am finished, evaluation and all, but I don't technically "complete" the course unless I pay for a $100 extension. And aside from the expense, Dr. Porter also communicated very unprofessionally. It was a disappointing experience and I have learned the hard way that AGWA is a business focused on making money, rather than on education and customer service. Don't use them!

    Template created by Makeworthy Media