KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Friday, September 23, 2005

Evacuation Time in Texas, Part 9

Finally heard from Wally—a phone call instead of just a text message!

He's in Columbus, only halfway to San Antonio.

"Oh my God! It's Survival 101 here! I'm hungry, I'm hot, the car smells, and I've had maybe two hours' sleep. We've found a Walmart, and we have to go in and see if they have any food. Then I've got to convince Gary [husband to Wally's friend Yvonne; the three of them are part of a caravan] that we have to keep on going."

Then I got a call from Sandi, sister of Shawn, my sister Becky's second ex-husband. Becky, her husband Steve, her second ex-husband Shawn, and her son Jordan were each driving a car. "They didn't make it any farther than The Woodlands, just outside of Houston. They're pretty much out of gas and tired and cranky and frightened, and they think there's someone in that area that they might be able to get to. Jordan [Becky's oldest] and his girlfriend are at a hotel. His car was overheating so he turned around to head back for home, but the hotel was as far as he could get."

I didn't sleep at all last night, worrying about them all. I don't think I'll sleep tonight either, wondering if they make it through the hurricane.

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11
Part 12 Part 13


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Katharine. It's gonna be a wicked weekend of weather, but I think they'll get through this.

Meg

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Thanks so much, Meg.

Template created by Makeworthy Media