KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Friday, May 18, 2007

Hospice Care for My Mother

You may recall that Kate, my ex-mother-in-law, whom I love very much, has been in the hospital. I woke up this morning to find an e-mail message from her youngest son:

After [Kate has spent] nearly a month in and out of the hospital (mostly in) fighting an infection related to her polycystic kidney disease, we were informed by the medical staff today that there is nothing more they can do for her. In accordance with my mom's wishes, and in consultation with my dad, my mom was removed from life-supporting measures today and will transition to hospice care tomorrow. She is sleeping quietly now and will be surrounded by her family over the next week.


Kate is my daughter Becky's favorite grandmother. Becky just gave birth on Monday, so it's too early for her to be traveling upstate to introduce Kate to her first great-grandchild, whose middle name is Kathleen in Kate's honor. But my ex-husband tells me that he printed out a photo of our grandchild to show Kate, who cried with joy, so Kate has had a chance to see her namesake before she dies.

Updated 5/25/07.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this news, Katharine...you are both in my thoughts. How beautiful that Kate has lived to know that her little namesake has been born safe and healthy. If there has to be an end, that seems like a good one.

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Thank you, Melissa. I think you are right.

Unknown said...

I guess this is what we call taking the bitter with the sweet.
Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the sadness you and your family will experience. It's heartwarming that she will at least get to see a picture of her namesake.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I will say that Hospice were wonderful for my mother. She was cared for by them for a year (to the day!) and they were much more responsive than the nursing home staff. I hope your mother-in-law receives the same care there.

Template created by Makeworthy Media