KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Case of Moaning Myrtle

For your amusement, here's a poor drawing (mine) of what my husband, Ed, was working on for a large part of today:

Home maintenance projectWe don't have central air-conditioning (AC) because this 40-plus-year-old home wasn't built with it. Instead, we have several window or wall AC units in the upstairs. The setup in the drawing is what we have in the living room (with the AC unit) and the master bedroom (oscillating fan instead of AC unit). A few years ago, Ed put the two little stereo cooling fans (shown in the drawing as being green) inside the wall to pull some of the cool air out of the living room and into the master bedroom. The setup works really well; on hot days, our bedroom is quite pleasant, temperature-wise, for sleeping in. The job was a big, hairy deal back then, involving cutting a hole through the wall, installing the little fans into the tight space, and framing out the hole on both sides of the wall.

Today he was dealing with the recent problem of one of the stereo fans moaning periodically. It had begun to sound a bit like a bass Moaning Myrtle. Ed had to get into the very small space to take the stereo fans out, replace one because its bearings had worn out, and lubricate both. He's done now, but his work style is vastly different from mine. When he encounters a really difficult task, he bitches and moans loudly throughout the whole process, winding himself up until he achieves mental vapor lock. When I encounter such a task, I keep quiet and remain calm, knowing that if I wind myself up, I won't be mentally clear enough to think through any problems that might come up. Our house is so small that whenever he's in "[wood] shop Nazi" working mode (my term) inside the house, it interferes with my ability to edit because his cursing winds both of us up. There's no quiet place for me to escape to.

I understand having different working styles. I just wish that I could turn off his volume when he's working in my space. Now that he's done and calmed down, I like him again. ;-)



No comments:

Template created by Makeworthy Media