KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Friday, November 17, 2006

I Don't Buy It

Well, publisher Judith Regan talks a good talk, but I don't think I buy what she says is her reason for publishing O.J. Simpson's book If I Did It:
Regan said the book was a way to undo the “criminal injustice system” that let her own abuser go free.

She said she was abused while in her 20s by a man “who could charm anyone” and with whom she had a child. “And then he knocked me out, with a blow to my head, and sent me to the hospital,” she said. She said police initially didn’t believe her story.

“I made the decision to publish this book, and to sit face to face with the killer, because I wanted him, and the men who broke my heart and your hearts, to tell the truth, to confess their sins, to do penance and to amend their lives,” she said. ...
I do believe that Regan suffered domestic abuse, but I can't believe that that is her only reason for publishing Simpson's pseudo–tell-all. Even if her HarperCollins imprint, ReganBooks, sees no money from this book (which I find hard to believe), publishing it sure garners a lot of publicity.

Yes, publishing is a business, and I've been in that business for more than 20 years. But there are some things that should never see the light of a bookstore, and O.J.'s book is one of them. It's not a matter of freedom of the press or free speech but of good taste and human decency.

See update.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The worst punishment OJ Simpson could receive (since he managed to buy himself an acquittal) would be complete lack of public attention. Publishing this book is giving him just what he wants. It certainly won't make my reading list.

Anonymous said...

Judith Regan, shame on you. If you really felt this way, why didnt you say that all your proceeds would go to a domestic violence charity.

Hmmmmm so the truth is, it was greed and publicity, sick sick you are sick!

shame - boycott anything judith regan including harpers ect.

and check out www.dontpayoj.com

judith - you are now as bad as OJ - enjoy your enternity in hell together.

http://www.what-a-world.com

Template created by Makeworthy Media