Author Carleen Brice has begun a different campaign: National Buy a Book by a Black Author and Give It to Somebody Not Black Month. Its goal is to introduce white readers to the many great books that often end up hidden in the "black author" sections of bookstores. In this blog post, she provides 10 reasons for her campaign, including these:
- You'll know what the cool kids are reading every month, not just February.
- Seriously, haven't you read enough Philip Roth? Jewish guy obsessed with sex and death. Oy! Enough already.
- You already like our music, dances, food, fashion and films.
- Paraphrasing President-Elect Obama, we’re not black states of fiction and white states of fiction. We’re the United States of fiction.
- We read your books.
- Lots of [books by black authors] are really good.
Updated 7:34 p.m., 12/3/08: Here's a must-see video clip about this issue:
black authors books literature reading publishing EditorMom