KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Missing My Honey

Missing my honeyJust the sound of Ed's voice, as he discusses chess strategy with our son Neil, fills my heart. He's off work today, so game time is possible.

I've been freelancing full time for nearly 14 years now, so I'm used to being at home all of the time. When Ed started his own cabinetmaking business just over a year ago, I was so pleased to have him around much more often than he used to be when he was someone else's employee. I reveled in being able to hear his voice in person, and not just over the phone, at any time of day or night. His dear, sweet smile still melts me after all these years. And I watched him supervise our sons' homework time (mostly for our second-grader, Jared) and his gentleness and patience with the boys comforts me. And I loved sitting at my computer and working while he took care of us all by making dinner.

But he's been working for the evil Walmart, 4 p.m. to 1 a.m., for 3 weeks now because the recession has left him without clients for the time being, and I get all of those wonderful Eddish things only on Wednesdays and Sundays. I want my honey back at home. And he wants to be back here too.

Waaaaah.



4 comments:

Karoli said...

It sucks to not have him around. I'm in your shoes too, though at least mine isn't working those horrible hours. On the other hand, I'm glad he's at least working...so many others aren't.

Mary Beth said...

sorry. :(

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Oh, hey, Karoli, I'm sorry that your husband's away a lot too. I've been listening to soothing Christmas carols from my childhood a lot today to get my head into a better place.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry. But glad he was able to some outside work when he needed it. It's hard seeing people's small businesses take a hit in this economy.

Template created by Makeworthy Media