KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

"Please stop the war"

I've been feeling crummy the last couple of days, having been the last in my household to succumb to a nasty virus, so I haven't been writing. But my middle child did something that inspired me to drag myself out of bed: He wrote a letter to George Bush urging him to end the war in Iraq. Here's the text of it:



1/11/05

Dear President Bush,

I just wanted to tell you my opinion about the war in Iraq. I think it's wrong to go to war. I don't like this war because it kills infants, children, men, and women. Please stop the war.

Sincerely,
Neil O'Moore-Klopf, age 10



Go here to see a photograph of Neil's letter. Good kid, big heart. I love him. And now I'm going to put that letter in an envelope to the White House.

Update: Letter from the President

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Neil!

Is it a sad day that a sweet and smart and funny 10-year-old is more compassionate that our Fearless Leader? Or is it just par for the course in the early 21st century?

Martha S., not-so-secret admirer of the O'Moore-Klopf family

Anonymous said...

Neil:

I hope that is the first of many letters you write. Many leaders do pay attention to what the letters say. Sometimes they change their minds and make a better decision because lots of people have a written to ask them to.

Meg Cox

Anonymous said...

Way to go Neil! If our "fearless leader" had as much caring, intelligence and compassion as you do we would be living in a far better world.
Love,
Sarajane Ilamathi (AKA Mrs. I.)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mrs. I. Mom said I could post this note to you. Hi! I remember your class.

Neil

Anonymous said...

Just like to say that I wish that war would stop.

I am so tired of boys behaving badly... middle-aged boys, senior boys, and even good ol' boys.

It's irresponsible behavior masquerading as "security", "defense", and "nation building".

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Me too, 3:55 p.m. Anon. I can't stand all the good ol' boys now in charge.

~Brandie said...

I was doing research for my English class on war and came across this entry in your blog. I found it interesting. Although, what grabbed my attention is the fact my last name (Klopf) was on the image of the letter attached. I'm not sure how we are related but I assume we are. That name is not to common. I'd love to find out: brandielmk@gmail.com
I am an aspiring writer, I plan to read more on your blog when I have more time. ~Brandie

Template created by Makeworthy Media