KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Author Wins a Major Award!

I'm just so excited!

I do a lot of editing of medical journal articles for non-American authors for whom English is a second language. Many of them are from Asia, and these days, more and more Asian authors are getting their articles accepted for publication by U.S. journals.

I just heard from one of my authors, an orthopedic surgeon in Korea who specializes in hip-replacement surgery. He tells me that an article on which I did substantive editing for him is the article that has won him the Hip Society's prestigious 2007 John Charnley Award, which is given to those deemed to have done innovative research that advances the management of hip disorders. Sir John Charnley was a pioneering orthopedic surgeon in Great Britain who invented the low-friction hip replacement in the early 1960s. Surgeons from all over the world often traveled to study under him. Knee and shoulder replacement surgery developed directly out of his work on the artificial hip.

This is why I became an editor: to help authors communicate important information so that others can use it. And I feel that by working with authors all over the world, from many different cultures, I do my very small part in working for world peace. Yesssss!



publishing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! It's so important for work to be worth more than a paycheck. Congratulations! :D

Anonymous said...

Also, I feel compelled to add that the Hip Society is the best medical association name ever.

Template created by Makeworthy Media