KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Thursday, January 04, 2007

2007 So Far, So Fast

Bang! That's how 2007's begun.

At Chez Copyeditor, we're all just about over The Cold from Hell. Thank goodness, because we're all tired of humidifiers with Vicks VapoRub, menthol cough drops, nasal lavage, and a symphony of coughing, sneezing, and moaning in pain and misery.

Just-barely-5 kindergartner Jared's sounding out words now and will be reading War and Peace any moment now. Seventh-grader Neil's suddenly a fan of historical novels about young teens—black cowboys, young whalers, nascent civil-rights advocates.

New clients are bursting out all over, one of them just yesterday, and longtime and fairly new clients are coming up with more, more, more fun projects, so I'm editing like a madwoman. (Are any editors really sane? Don't answer that.) I'm even writing press releases, which I haven't done professionally in more than 20 years, but apparently, I've still got it.

And my grandchild-to-be is big enough, at almost 20 weeks, that my daughter Rebecca can feel him or her swimming around in the womb. Don't I feel like part of the circle of life, with a 5-year-old child of my own whose weaning just over a year ago is still fresh in my memory, as I wait to morph into Grandma!

Out of the blue today, a colleague sent me contact info for someone who's always looking to add freelance copyeditors to her list. Must've been due to good karma, but damn if I remember what nice thing I've done for said colleague lately.

And this is my second day in a row pulling a 12-hour workday. Yikes!

And WE HAVE A WOMAN AS SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE. Sorry for shouting, but that's just so damn fine!

If this year gets any better, somebody's gonna have to prop me up, 'cause I'll just swoon. But I still haven't even done the family Christmas cards or my client New Year's cards.

Oh ... invite Rep. Virgil Goode to go visit a mosque.

Good night!



publishing

No comments:

Template created by Makeworthy Media