KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Caution! Congestion Ahead

You'd think, because our kids are so spread out in age (5, almost 12, 23), that my husband and I would by now be immune to the catch-every-germ-in-the-universe ritual that is part of having a kindergartner.

You'd be wrong.

It's currently snot, snot, snot everywhere. Jared brought home a tenacious cold last week and has been hacking away ever since. His older brother, Neil, is now hacking. He reported that when he arrived at school on Tuesday, his coughing a staccato accompaniment to the classroom noise, several of his classmates let him know they were displeased because they knew they would soon catch what he has. But public schools have this thing about students missing too many class days; they'd never allow us to keep our kids home until they were fully recuperated from each illness. (And that's just one of the reasons that I wish I could juggle both full-time self-employment and homeschooling.)

I spent Monday and Tuesday hacking, blowing my nose, and dozing on the living-room couch or bed, too oxygen-deprived because of severely stuffed sinuses to be able to think and thus to work. I'm still blowing my nose every few minutes, but now it's my husband's turn to be miserable, though his head's far less packed than mine was. His sinuses actually drain, unlike mine.

It's just snot pretty around here.



2 comments:

Imperatrix said...

Watch out! We all got some sickness the Consort brought home from his university (so don't think once you're out of kindergarten, you're safe. Imagine students coming together from all parts of the country, now there's a happy germ incubator!).
One of his colleagues is still feeling really sick, the department secretary is out, and I think it may be walking pneumonia.

But luckily, he only brought us home the cheapy one-week cold version.

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Ugh! I've had walking pneumonia twice in my life, and it's truly ugly. I suppose you should thank the Consort for being cheap. ;-)

Template created by Makeworthy Media