KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Friday, May 08, 2009

A Perfect Afternoon

Looking up into the maple tree in my backyardEver have one of those perfect afternoons?

I'm having one now. My two sons are home after school, and because it's Friday, they have no homework. It's 72 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny outside with a light breeze, everything is green, I'm editing an easy article for a medical journal, and oh my God spring smells so damn fine!

A little while ago, 14-year-old Neil was out in front of our house playing basketball with some other neighborhood high school guys, and for just one moment, I had a flash vision of him in the near future—he's going to be a really hunky guy. And as my husband, Ed, says, "He's not nerdy either, the way I was until adulthood." (I always did have a soft spot for cute nerdy guys.)

The windows are open, the fans are blowing, 7-year-old Jared has cartoons on the TV. The only thing that could make this moment any better would be for Ed to get done very, very early tonight with his second job.

No, I have not been snatched away by aliens and replaced with a happy robot. Why do you ask?


Updated at 5:45 p.m.: Neil just started mowing our lawn without being prodded to do so. I just may have to faint in delighted amazement.



2 comments:

Funny about Money said...

LOL! The only thing scarier than a fine young son who's about to become hunky is a fine young daughter who's about to become gorgeous! :-D

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

I've had one of those too. Our phone used to ring off the hook for her. She's now 26 and the mother of a beautiful 2-year-old.

Template created by Makeworthy Media