KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Thursday, November 06, 2008

A Bleak Personal Economy

My husband, Ed, still isn't getting any cabinetmaking projects right now.

His suppliers tell him that orders for lumber and lacquer are drying up (no pun intended) because no one has any projects right now. He's been sending out marketing letters to contractors all over the place. Just today, he answered an ad for a cabinet shop 30-plus minutes away that needs a cabinetmaker. Who knows if he'll get the job or be paid enough even if he were to get it. The business owner sounded astounded when, after he asked how many years' experience Ed has, Ed told him, "Twenty-four." I'm guessing that that means the guy is looking to pay a rookie a lot less money than Ed can command in a healthy economy.

He got a call today: It looks like he's been hired by Walmart to unload trucks in the warehouse of one of the local stores. Yes, we're aware of all the bad things that are said about Walmart. But we need the money—what very little it is—that this job will bring in. He's scheduled to go to new-employee orientation Saturday. The job is full time, and he'll be working 4 p.m. to 1 a.m., which means that neither I nor our sons will see much of him at all. I'm trying not to think about not having time with my favorite human being or about having to play single parent ... or about what effect that will have on our marriage and family.

I hate what this economy is doing to everyone.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's going to be a rough patch. But you guys will get through it, I know you will!

Unknown said...

It must be a very tense time; I hope things will take a better turn soon.

Anonymous said...

I vividly remember about 14 months of Ron working nights as a computer operator (entry job, deperately needed after 6 months of unemployment), while I worked days at a tech writing job. Ron home at about 7:30 am to greet me standing on steps with kid #1 ready to hop into the just-returned car to head to daycare and then work. Back home just in time to see Ron off to his overnight gig. It was dreadful, but we survived, and the operator job eventually transformed into an analyst position with regualr office hours. Tough time, but necessary for survival and Ron's self-esteem. Just take it day by day, schedule some "us" time on days off, an keep repeating to yourself that "this, too, will come to an end." Hang in there, Kathy!

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Thank you, my friends. Ann, your practical details will help me a lot; they'll give me a focus. Thank you.

Mary Beth said...

UGH. I'm sorry. I'm praying for you all.

Template created by Makeworthy Media